Wednesday rounds – still slowly improving (CarePages Update)

A major theme of today’s rounds was trying to have Elanor on less medication. Neurology decided they didn’t want her on dilantin (her anti-seizure medication). We’re not sure if that was because yesterday’s EEG looked good or for some other reason (the official EEG report isn’t back yet). She hasn’t needed extra doses of labetalol (blood-pressure medication) in a few days, so they’re going to stop those and see if she can maintain her blood pressure with just her regular labetalol. All of that means she’s trending in a good direction. They’re also going to stop giving her lasix, her dieuretic, so that’s good.

They still do have to give her potassium supplements, though, and that’s a little odd because she’s on breast milk. They’re planning to talk to the kidney doctor who saw Elanor earlier to check if there is a reason she might need potassium supplementation.

Beyond that, it looks like Elanor is going to get her bone MRI soon (maybe today, though it might be tomorrow – there was some thought that infectious diseases didn’t want to get it before tomorrow) to see if she’s got a bone infection. If she does, she’s probably in the hospital longer, so we’re hoping that’s clear.

They’re still trying to figure out what they’re going to do for “access” so they can remove the central line on her leg. They’re talking about attempting the PICC line one more time, but the NICU fellow who was here yesterday spent a couple of hours trying, so there’s some pessimism. On the other hand, the NICU people were willing to come back, so maybe they think there’s hope. If not, I think we’re looking at surgery to put in a central line in Elanor’s neck / shoulder, which is still scary.

Other than “access”, though, Elanor continues to move in a direction where she’s getting ready for the ordinary pediatric floor. While it is a bit scary (since we’ll have more responsibility and she’ll have less monitoring), it is also a step in the right direction for her. They’re looking at getting her a single room there, so we can control how many visitors she has and so that she doesn’t get exposed to another patient who might have something she could catch. We’ll see how it goes.

This entry was posted in Elanor's Hospital Stay, Medical. Bookmark the permalink.